Siloh Fach Independent Chapel, Melincryddan, Neath. SA11 1UA.
We are a Welsh Congregational Church in name, but nowadays the bulk of our Services are in English – the hymns largely Welsh!
Our history began in 1840, as an offshoot of our Mother Church Zoar, in Neath, in rented premises in Melincryddan, until the opening of a Sunday School in 1858, on a freehold plot in Danygraig Road, gifted by the Mayor of Neath. It was affectionately termed “Siloh Fach”, and remains so to this day. A growing congregation of industrial workers necessitated a new building, on the Old Road, on land owned by the Earl of Jersey, with peppercorn rent. This new Siloh opened in 1879, as did an enlarged Siloh Fach in 1911.
By 2012, decreased membership and huge increases in maintenance costs led to the sale of Siloh and a permanent home in Siloh Fach. This already had disabled access and toilet facilities, plus a fully equipped kitchen. 2013 saw an extensive redesign of our main hall. We can now accommodate over 80 and welcome interest from outside organisations. We regard ourselves as a Community Church, already used as a polling station and hired to a local charity organisation.
Ceri Pelzer, Brandon Jewell, Vernon C Jones Peter Phelps (Chairman), Mervyn Evans (Pulpit Secretary), Michael Hopkins (Treasurer), Roy Jenkins (Church Secretary)
Mervyn Evans, Myra Hartwell, Michael Hopkins, Roy Jenkins, Brandon Jewell, Vernon C. Jones, Ceri Pelzer, leuan Pelzer, Peter Phelps
Choirmaster and Organist - Peter Phelps Assistant Organists - Margaret Robinson and Carolyn Soper